Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘cancellations’

Coupeville Athletic Director Willie Smith shut down his middle school boys soccer program, at least for a season. (Photo by JohnsPhotos.net)

A little less soccer this season.

Pitch fans will still be able to watch both Coupeville High School programs play, but the farm team is taking the fall off.

Athletic Director Willie Smith confirmed Monday that the Coupeville Middle School boys soccer season has been cancelled.

The decision was based on the program — which is currently without a coach — being unable to attract enough interested players.

CMS, which is returning to action after playing just intramurals last season due to Covid, will still field volleyball and cross country programs this fall.

Read Full Post »

Coupeville High School soccer coach Robert Wood remains resolute in the face of a shifting schedule. (Photo by JohnsPhotos.net)

Coupeville High School boys soccer fans will have to wait an additional week to see their team play at home.

After opening on the road against Mount Vernon Christian Sept. 7, the Wolves were slated to have three-straight tilts at Mickey Clark Field.

The first one of those — a Friday night rumble under the lights Sept. 10 — has been cancelled, however, as Cedar Park Christian-Lynnwood has “a shortage of eligible players/number of players.”

Coupeville’s first home game is now the following Friday, Sept. 17, against defending Northwest 2B/1B League champ Orcas Island.

CPC has not cancelled its season, and Coupeville’s second matchup with the private school, set for Oct. 21 in Lynnwood, remains on the schedule for now.

As for that first game, the schools are “looking into the possibility of a re-schedule later in the season,” said CHS Athletic Director Willie Smith.

Read Full Post »

Coupeville High School tennis coach Ken Stange abides. (Photo by JohnsPhotos.net)

Ken Stange’s fall schedule just got less cluttered.

That’s not necessarily a good thing, however, as the longtime Coupeville High School tennis coach will see a second-straight boys net campaign fall by the wayside.

During the 2020-2021 school year, the Wolves lost out when Friday Harbor, the only other school in the Northwest 2B/1B League to play tennis, cancelled all of its fall sports programs due to Covid concerns.

With NWL schools not playing non-conference games in any sport during the height of the pandemic, that left Coupeville up a creek without a tennis racket.

This time around, things were looking up, with Friday Harbor back in action.

The two NWL schools were set to join South Whidbey this fall in playing Seattle-based private schools from the Emerald Sound Conference.

Unfortunately, things won’t go as planned, as the Wolf tennis program, which is competing against football, cross country, and soccer for male athletes, wasn’t able to draw enough players.

CHS Athletic Director Willie Smith confirmed Monday the season had been cancelled.

Stange, who will return to the courts next spring with the Wolf girl netters, remains deeply-committed to both Coupeville tennis programs.

“We will try again next year,” he said.

Read Full Post »

Coupeville Athletic Director Willie Smith, the hardest-working man in sports entertainment during the Age of Coronavirus, awaits the buzz of his phone signaling another schedule change. (Photo by JohnsPhotos.net)

Scritch-scratch, scritch-scratch, the pencil continues to mark up the schedule.

Pandemic concerns have erased three more games from the fall sports campaign, with Coupeville High School volleyball losing two matches, and boys soccer one game.

In the world of spikes and sets, both Darrington and La Conner have put their programs into two-week quarantines following positive Covid cases.

That means Coupeville x’s out a road trip to La Conner April 29, and a home match against Darrington May 1.

Over on the soccer pitch, the Wolf boys were scheduled to head to Grace Academy in Marysville Wednesday, but the Eagles announced Tuesday they couldn’t play.

From a quick look at the Grace Academy schedule, the school has eliminated its next three matches.

And we roll on, pencil in hand, eraser(s) at the ready, here in the Age of Coronavirus.

Read Full Post »

Andrew Aparicio and other Coupeville netters won’t play in April and May, as planned, after Friday Harbor cancelled all fall sports. (Photo by JohnsPhotos.net)

One rival steps down, and Coupeville High School loses 12 games and matches off its schedule.

Due to what the San Juan Islander is terming a “significant surge in positive COVID cases in the San Juan Island community,” Friday Harbor High School will not play fall sports, which begin this week.

That move affects four Coupeville teams, with boys tennis being hurt the most.

Friday Harbor is the only other Northwest 2B/1B League school to play the net game, so Coupeville’s entire six-match schedule for this pandemic-shortened season is lost.

That sends the Wolf netters to the sideline, though they can join cross country or football.

Coupeville’s volleyball, football, and girls soccer squads are also affected by the reduction in foes.

The loss of Friday Harbor cuts Coupeville’s soccer schedule from nine to six games, trims volleyball’s campaign from 12 matches to 10, and slashes football from four games to three.

Soccer loses road games April 9 and May 1, and a home tilt April 20, while volleyball was scheduled to host Friday Harbor April 10, then travel April 24.

CHS football is set to open at home against La Conner this Saturday, April 10.

With Friday Harbor’s departure, the Wolf gridiron squad will then sit until April 30, when they travel to La Conner for a rematch. They close their season May 8 at home against Concrete.

With NWL schools only playing league foes during the 2020-2021 school year, it’s unlikely any of the cancelled games or matches will be replaced.

And before you ask, Coupeville can’t call up its Whidbey neighbors, as tempting as that would normally be.

The leagues which Oak Harbor and South Whidbey are currently in played fall sports first, and are now playing spring sports.

CHS and the NWL opted to open with spring sports — all played outdoors — as prep sports teams tentatively returned from a year-plus absence.

 

To read more about the surge in cases on Friday Harbor, pop over to:

ALERT: Surge in cases on San Juan Island; here’s what to do (sanjuanislander.com)

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »